Thursday, July 29, 2010

Worst commercial ever

I was about to leave it "Worst life insurance commercial ever," but I think this beats all bad commercials.


I can't remember who it was, so I can't find it on YouTube (it might've been Liberty, but I still couldn't find it), but I remember basically how it went.


It starts off with two middle-aged women who look like they were slipped a fifty and told to recite some lines for a camera. There are some brief introductions (hello, good morning wtf ever [why is goodnight one word and good morning two?]) and then the following conversation, probably abridged, ensues:


Lady 1: My mother passed away.
Lady 2: Oh! I'm so sorry! *insincere frown that looks nonchalantly conversational*
Lady 1: Oh, it's okay, I got this in the mail! It's something I've been waiting for.
Lady 2: What is it?
Lady 1: My mother's life insurance! It'll help cover the cost of her funeral. *this lets you know she's hardly been dead... so what, the lady's not even grieving?*
*cue inspirational music and cuts away to some generically creepy narrator talking about how for only 35 cents a day you can get blah blah but only if you're 40-80 years old, since apparently people over 80 don't need life insurance*


Whaaaaaaat? Here's the abridged version:


Lady 1: My mom died.
Lady 2: Oh, I'm so sorry! *still insincere look*
Lady 1: Who cares? I got her life insurance check! Wooooo!
Lady 2: Um...




What an awful, awful commercial.


Moral of the story: if you're going to write a commercial, make sure you're not braindead or twelve or a committer of matricidal life insurance fraud.

No comments:

Post a Comment