Sunday, October 25, 2009

ADD ME!!!!1

If I had to pick one thing on the internet that I hate the most, I would tell you to eat it and give you a list. For the sake of not wanting to sound like a whiner, I'll keep it to the one appearing in the title (although those stupid lolcats are a close second).
A site I really enjoy is AddictingGames.com, which has addicting games on it. Under every game window is a comment thread, and you'll see things like "dis game sux add me lol" all the time. Silly me, I thought it was something limited to certain websites. But oh, was I wrong (yes, I was)!
Turns out that social networks do it all the time, especially on YouTube and Facebook's game application fan pages. These I can understand, because you'll get bonuses on those games for having several people on your crew or whatever. But on AddictingGames? You get nothing whatsoever.
And, of course, it's not just for games. It's comments on celebrity profiles, status updates for other networks (every other person on Tagged has their Yahoo! account for the whole world to see), and I wouldn't be surprised if I saw billboards asking to add some 38-year-old dude on World of Warcraft.
People really shouldn't even need to tell others to add them. What's the point anyway? You don't care about the people you add and they sure don't care about you either. There's no need to impress anyone (if anyone is ignorant and gullible enough to be impressed by this) by your 82,93,847,210 "friends" who don't care and who you've probably never said or written a syllable to.

Moral of the story: there's no need to be wasting everyone's time shamelessly advertising yourself. Unless you genuinely know or talk to all of the people you add. Then props to you, that's actually pretty freakin' impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment