Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Personalization will ruin advertising

I was thinking a while ago about this, and I wonder if it's actually feasible. Feedback would be great, if you agree or disagree. Just bouncing crap off the wall here (yes, you're a metaphorical wall and I'm going to throw feces at you).

With the advent of personalized products, create-your-own-whatever gimmicks, and other sorts of things like those that target very small demographics, I wonder if advertising will eventually become obsolete. If everyone can basically make their own product, there won't be any reason to advertise. Of course, there has to be some kind of a company behind the personalization, but if it becomes common enough, there won't be any point in advertising.

I don't know if this'll be a good thing or not, but if everyone is the boss of what they want, and everyone gets whatever they want (greedy pricks), people who run around saying, "Hey! Look at my product! It's super great!" will be looked upon as idiots. People will reply with, "That's not what I want at all, you should give me the ability to change it to my specific needs." But then, maybe they'd still need to advertise, I dunno. Just a thought.

Maybe we should find a way to brainwash everyone and both blatantly and subliminally find ways to make them feel like they need what we can offer instead of their own personal wants. Oh wait, we're already doing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment